Re: For 1st time FF'er Chatooga or Tallulah ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr. T on July 16, 1998 at 15:54:30:

In Reply to: For 1st time FF'er Chatooga or Tallulah ? posted by Jim on July 16, 1998 at 15:14:28:

> I am introducing a friend of mine (his current bad habit is golf)to flyfishing. He has practiced on a farm pond (bass, brim)but now it is time to hit moving waters to practice drifts, mends etc...My question -- I have fished above/below Burrells Ford and below the bridge on the Chatooga but I haven't FF the Tallulah - what type of water and room is there to let a first timer learn? thanks .

Jim -- Have not yet fished the Chatooga but have introduced by daughter and a couple of friends to flyfishing on the Tallulah and all were successful. Starting at the U.S. Forestry service Tallulah River campground, the river is fairly wide and deep with some good runs. Further upstream it gets a little tight and narrow but my three beginners had no trouble learning how to cast, both long and short as wll as how to rollcast to get under the trees and to keep their backcast out of the trees and brush. Even upstream, there are some wide open areas where they can get full casts in. Specifically, there's a quite wide area just below the Tate Branch campground with both upstream and downstream shoals and pools, all of which can be productive. I've seen the Chatooga and it's a much bigger river where you can spend the entire day making full casts without having to worry about brush at all. Probably some of the regulars can help with specifics. I really don't think you can go wrong with either river.

Mr. T

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]