Floating to Infinity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lloyd on July 19, 1998 at 16:34:07:

I'm beginning this with no real idea what I want to say. Saturday, a friend and I floated down from the Dam. I had read or mis-read someone's estimate that the time to Abbott's was 4-5 hrs. So, without even a hint of rational thought we went for it. Four hours into the float I broke my rod on a forward cast (Scott: $495). Six hours into the float, going crazy from boredom (say all you want to about enjoying nature) we passed Settle's; sometime after that two floaters told us were an hour from McGinnis and hoped we had flashlights if we intended to float to Abbott's. When I started sobbing hysterically they offered to drive us from their take-out (McGinnis) to our car at Abbott's. So, there are lessons to be learned: 1. Don't assume float times over still waters; 2. Carry a backup outfit on a long float; 3. Don't let your sandwich get wet, you can't safely drink the water; 4. There are some good guys out there; 5. After debating with myself, I had worn my neoprenes over my jeans, leaving my Hodgman breathables at home. Ten hours into the float I was hypothermic and glad I had worn the neoprene. The river is cold.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]