Re: Confessions of a Meatchunker

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr.T on July 22, 1998 at 14:29:32:

In Reply to: Confessions of a Meatchunker posted by Gman on July 22, 1998 at 12:34:48:

>

Actualy, I think you got it a bit mixed up -- It was the hippie beating up the old guy and the sign he carried read: "My Way is the Only Way"

And while I have never had to struggle with that particular addiction, I am afflicted with the corn-cheese-powerbait syndrome. In fact, my affliction is so great that I will use those types of bait on my flyrod. Alas, I'm also teaching my daughter to do the same so that this illness is passed from generation to generation. She gotten it so bad that on our last trip, I had to practically force her to use a fly. Then when my back was turned she switched back to powerbait and started catching fish.

There may be no greater thrill than catching a nice trout on a fly, especially on one you've tied and double especially on a pattern you've invented, but the bottom line is catching the trout (fish), not flinging the bait. Granted, there is an intellectual stimulation to tying the fly, matching the hatch, making the perfect cast followed by a natural drift that fools the wiley trout into taking, but it all boils down to that very moment of taking for regardless of what went before, it all goes for naught, if the fish doesn't strike. I've spent hours, even days, changing flies, trying to find that elusive combination that results in a catch. I've done it with a can of corn sitting nearby waiting to be opened and never quite reaching that point. The addiction is so overwhelming that if the catch doesn't come, I leave the water feeling frustrated and defeated. A can of corn or a jar of powerbait can prevent those feelings of frustration and while I only use them as a last resort, I will when necessary resort to tem with no apology or feeling of guilt. There is much to be said of the mind-clearing aspects of fishing in solitude, matching wits with the wiley trout while listening to the babble of the stream in a spectacular setting with the wonderful smells of nature surrounding you, but these things can be enjoyed without wetting a line. But the purpose of fishing. and all of its other fine attributes not withstanding, is to catch fish. If you invest time in the endeavor and money in the necessary accoutriments?? and say you're not really there to catch fish, you're wasting both time and money. And while most of us will agree that a bad day on a stream is better than a good day at the office, a bad day can be turned into a great day with one catch, whether that catch be made with meat, corn, cheese, powerbait, rappalas, rooster tails, shadflies or whatever else you choose. When I fish with corn or cheese, the catch, as important as it is to the success of the day, is not quite as meaningful as it would have been had it been caught on a fly. But this is a nuance that is virtually infinitesimal in the greater scheme of things. Anyone who says the purpose of fishing is the fishing, itself, either doesn't understand the nature of man or is fooling him(her)self. A fisherman not catching fish is failure, an enjoyable failure, but failure nonetheless. Obviously, one does not have to catch fish to have an enjoyable fishing trip -- it's just better if you do -- regardless of the method used.

IMHO

Mr. T

Eater of trout
non-practitioner of C&R

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title: