Re: Coming Soon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gman on July 30, 1998 at 15:34:37:

In Reply to: Coming Soon posted by Rotten on July 30, 1998 at 09:34:04:

Lots of good shops in N. Georgia, including the sponsor of NGTO, Unicoi Outfitters. Unfortuantely, no good, CHEAP flyshops.

Flies: I like nymphs, (hare's ear, pheasant, prince) wooly buggers, black and olive, size 8 and 10. Dries, depends, but Adams is always a good starting point, and a good caddis imitation. Like a elkhair in several sizes, maybe from 12 to 18? Also terrestials are good in September, depending on where you fish.

The Hooch is good most of the year, or so I hear. North Ga. it's closed, but below the dam it's open all year, and from what I've heard (never fished there) there is some great fishing, big fish. There ain't no secret fishin' spots in Georgia, just secretive fisherman.

Any 3-5 wt rod is going to do the job, but if I had only one, it would be a 5wt with floating, DT line or WF line. (I personally am a fan of St. Croix rods, which are reasonable and excellent rods. Much cheaper is a Pflueger Supreme, which is better than its price would indicate.) I'd get a good reel, which you can actually do for less than $100, and you can get a pretty good reel for less than $50.

I've read the Curtis Creek Manifesto, it's good reading. But if you get in the water in a fishy-looking place, fish down and across with a Hare's ear or a wooly bugger (my first choice, unless fish are rising to something) up and across for dries, you're probably going to catch something, and that's the best of all, the absolute best of all training. And if you're a quick learner, you'll learn to read water and sort of sense where a fish might be hiding. (I learned to fish the water by using corn many, many years ago, which is why I'm so sympathetic to meatchunkers.)

Drop me a note when you get here, and maybe we can get up somwhere and give them fish a try.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]