Re: Embarra$$ing Fishing Follies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr. T on August 10, 1998 at 06:51:18:

In Reply to: Embarra$$ing Fishing Follies posted by Rod on August 10, 1998 at 04:15:43:

> Have you ever:

> Continuously cast a flyless line to a rising trout and cursed his indifference?
> It especially happens when (you think) you are flicking a #22 or smaller dry or a small nymph.

> In the jubulation that follows freeing your snagged fly, cursed fish for missing your fly -- only to realize that you bent your hook on the de-snagging?

> Hooked a duck or goose?

> I only ask because I was lucky enough to perform all of these heroing tasks on my last trip.

> On top of this I lost about 10' of my WF fly-line when I snagged in a laurel---I've had nicks in my line since early spring Crappie fishing on rocky bottomed lakes and ponds (i'm surprised it lasted as long as it did--luckily I carry a spare spool and reel).

> Rod
> User of Laurel and Hardy Fly Rods and Reels
> Shemp Caster
> Fav. Fly: Charlie Chaplin

Rod -- If you think moutain laurel is bad, you oughta try gators...Had an eight footer strike a rebel one time when I was spincasting. Bit the s-ucker in half and nearly bashed my brains out when my half came free and shot like a bullet back at me. Hope he enjoyed the front half. At least we don't have to put up with them in the North Georgia moutains.

There are some benefits to mountain laurel. If usually spend a bit of time checking the leaves while I'm fishing and have been able to come up with significant numbers of flies, baits and rigs left by you and others to restock my fly boxes. Thanks.

And, yes, I've made many a flyless cast as a result of snapping my fly off or leaving it hooked to a maoutain laurel. But, looking on the bright side, it can be good practice.

Mr. T

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]