Re: Picking a fly fishing rig

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gman on August 11, 1998 at 15:23:54:

In Reply to: Picking a fly fishing rig posted by Spinner on August 11, 1998 at 14:34:31:

Good for you. Hook and Hackle offers some great bargains, and during the month of August, stuff is 20% off!!!! I know because I ordered from them today. Don't know if that includes rods, though.

Were it me, I'd get a 8 to 8 1/2 foot 5wt rod, a pretty good reel, and a Double Taper Floating (DTF) fly line, or a Weight Forward (WF F) 5 wt line, which might be slightly easier to cast. DT is more economical because you can use both ends. Best buy is Cortland 333, or Scientific Anglers Air Cell (first choice).

I'd also get some tapered leaders down to 4X, (the 4X is the small end, you can tie on some 5X tippet material if you want to go smaller, cut some off if you want to fish for bass.) you can get them at K-Mart, but at 20% off, I'd get them from H & H. I'd get a spool of 3, 4, and 5X tippet material, also.

Hook and Hackle is supposed to have a pretty good rod, I don't know. Pfleuger Supreme is supposed to be a very good rod for the price, and it's very reasonable, and it would probably be my first choice if I wanted to conserve my bucks. Cabella's has GREAT low-priced rods also, BTW, and if it weren't for that 20% discount, I'd give them a shot. If you got quite a bit more money to spend, maybe a St. Croix, which is still pretty reasonable but higher than those I've mentioned so far, and an excellent rod (I have 3).

I'd also get a pair of forceps and a clipper, some dry fly floatant, and a box of sinkers, size bb and smaller for nymphs. Oh, and some flyline backing.

Others might have equally good reccommendations, so you should listen to all of us and make up your own mind. Don't think you can go wrong with this bunch.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]