General Flies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rod on August 13, 1998 at 01:38:22:

In Reply to: Re: GMAN: Quite the STICKler posted by spinner on August 12, 1998 at 16:25:51:

Spinner,

Get a book or two on technique and a bit of "bug-love."

After you thumb through those you should be itching to practice. As Gman suggested, get some GRHE (gold ribbed hairs ears). Fish this either wet or dry. Up down or across current--depends on what the fish are looking for. (size #12-18)

Elk hair caddis--a traditional dry, but I skate it and often cast it almost downstream and retrieve it. (#14-18)

Black or olive, bead-head woolie buggers--up, down or across stream. (size #6-10)

I personally give my flies alot of action and very seldomly go for a drift technique. Even when dry fly fishing upstream I give my fly a twitch to show some animation--I here this is brittish style--funny coming from a german.

These flies will catch fish--all of the flies above have caught fish when I have been walking upstream and letting my fly drag behind.--this shows that being to technical may hamper your ability to catch the fish.

Just remember that you are imitating a living organism with feather &tc and you'll be fine.

Post after your first trip and let us know how it went.

Rod

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]