Re: 2 questions. GRHE and Leader length.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gman on August 14, 1998 at 07:54:13:

In Reply to: 2 questions. GRHE and Leader length. posted by Bill Findlay on August 14, 1998 at 06:52:58:

GRHE stands for Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, which is a nymph traditionally made from the guard hairs around an English Hare's mask, and especially around the ears, where the guard hairs a longer and bushier. It's ribbed with fine gold hair, and the tail is (in my version) made from guard hairs also, although some use pheasant tail barbs, I believe.

Leaders should be tapered, and I personally like them long, even on smaller rivers. A nine foot leader is about as short as I like to go for trout, which are leader shy, down to a 4-5X tippet. Fishing nymphs in water that's not clear, I like to use a 4X tipped on a 9-foot leader, which means sometimes I'm just fishing the leader. A VERY general rule is the leader should be ABOUT the rod length, although you can play with that rule quite a bit. Very short rods with light lines, (2 wt and below) I don't know, since I dont' have much experience with them. But, about 8 or 9 foot is my lower limit for trout with 4 weight up. I use 7 1/2 feet with my 3 wt. For dry fly fishing in clear water, especially in still or slow clear shallow water, I'd go 12' down to about 6X.

You might be able to use certain brands of 3X tippet for nymph fishing, but I personally feel you'll get more strikes with a smaller tippet.

Leader formulea tables can be found at http://www.hookhack.com/handtiedleaders.html

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]