Re: 2 questions. GRHE and Leader length.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Flyguy on August 14, 1998 at 09:23:35:

In Reply to: 2 questions. GRHE and Leader length. posted by Bill Findlay on August 14, 1998 at 06:52:58:

Bill,

I also use a 9' 4x or 5x when fishing here in Ga. The tappered leader will give you fly a better looking presentation on to the water then that of a straight 4 or 5x tippet line. I use a 6x to 7x when dry fly fishing and this also helps a great deal with a natural presentation of a dry...even better with #18 and midges. The tapper helps disperse energy of the fly line at the end of the cast which in turn gives you a better over all cast. There are small charts on the back of some leader packages that will give you a general guide to fallow as far as tippet to fly size goes...but I find they are not always good for some of the conditions and ares fished here in GA. You will learn what is best for you with time and experiance. They even have knoted leader kits you can buy and produce your own leader...I do that myself and I like it much better. It can be a rather lengthy process...good to do on rain days.

Ditto on the GRHE (Gold Ribbed Hairs Ear) Bead Head works well for me and addes a little weight to get it down in the water.

Tight Lines-

Flyguy

Tippet tyer

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: