Re: Word on Loop-loop or or loopy about loop to loop

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gman on August 14, 1998 at 11:46:59:

In Reply to: Word on Loop-loop or or loopy about loop to loop posted by Rod on August 14, 1998 at 09:13:11:

I like the loop-to-loop also, especially for wetfly fishing. Unless you taper the leader, the fly and leader will hit the water really hard, making a big splash. Plus, the fly won't turn over properly, and it the water first, as it's supposed to. A light tipped will help a lot; I've never used a 7X tippet, but most of my fishing is in faster water.

I tie my own, but also buy some of the knotless when I can get a good price on them, and usually rebuild them to suit me, eventually. I really like a hard substance in the butt section, and use Maxima for it, which is NOT true to the diameter on the spool. I like Rio for the rest of the sections.

What I really dislike is those heatshrink loops you get with certain kinds of fly line, like Orvis. Causes lots of problems for me, so I just tie on a loop with a needle nail knot. This is pretty easy after you do it a few times; you have to shave downt he Maxima to get it through the eye of the needle. But it comes out of the center of the flyline instead of on the side, which makes it easier to reel it in.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]