Re: Brookies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr. T on August 17, 1998 at 15:10:12:

In Reply to: Re: Brookies posted by Flyguy on August 12, 1998 at 10:25:03:

Flyguy -- I used to think small streams could only produce small fish but I saw last week"s In-Fisherman TV show last week and watched Dave Whitlock using his Hopper to catch what must has been a five-pound 28-inch trout in a Wyoming stream which couldn't have been more than three feet wide and a foot deep. Whitlock cast above a point where the stream ran under a cutbank and the monster kind of rolled out from under the cutbank and slurped the Hopper in. Since the stream was so small, the fish didn't really have anyplace to run but Whitlock still had a bit of a tussle to get him into the net. I'm only a little suspicious because the camera was set up in the exact spot to capture the trout when he took the bait. In fact, you could see his body before the Hopper got to him. I can only assume that the group had spotted the fish before Whitlock made the cast then set up and let things settle a bit before he made the cast. According to Whitlock, large trout in small streams generally find a spot and spent ther life not moving more than a few inches to feed. This trout had no more than a foot to move to strike the Hopper. I think I will try Wildcat Creek the next time I head for north Georgia. God, that was a great fish!!! Anybody else see the show?

Mr. T

> Chris,

> There are some areas here in Ga that area stocked with brook trout...but not to many people know about it. The holdovers do not get that big because the are stocked in smaller streams that limit there growth to a degree. Drop me an e-mail and I will give you some insight to a few areas were you can possibly find some bigger brookies.

>
> Flyguy

> seeker of big brookies too

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: