Re: Which Fly Lines?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Flyguy on August 17, 1998 at 17:38:00:

In Reply to: Which Fly Lines? posted by Denver York on August 17, 1998 at 14:32:58:

Denver,

I use the cortland 444 WF (weight forward) which gives a great cast. I would also suggest this to someone new or at the novice stage with fly fishing because it has a weight forward motion which helps your cast carry out farther than a normal floating line would. In turn you can make better casts and reach a better distance with this type of line. I have been fly fishing for almost 23 years and the WF line has been my choice as fare back as I can remember.

The stiffness in your line might be because of a lack of fly line dressing which helps it to maintain it limp, smooth condition. I always us a line dressing before I fish...this will clean the dirt and other junk that happen to stick to your line while you were fishing. Also...salt water will take a big toll on line too if it is not keeped in shape with the dressing. The dressing will also help in keeping the line form sinking...this happens when you get the dirt build up on it and in turn the line is some what weighted down by it.

As far as cost goes...you get what you pay for. A good line will run around $30.00 to $60.00 depending on were you buy it and what kind you choose. I am partial to courtland, but there are pleanty of others out there that will work just as well.

P.S. Sorry to here you had to cancel your trip to ATL...Let me know when you plan to come again and I will make time to fish.

Tight Lines...

Flyguy

fond of my limp line

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: