Re: Best Wooly Bugger Technique?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Flyguy on August 18, 1998 at 15:33:22:

In Reply to: Best Wooly Bugger Technique? posted by Hound on August 18, 1998 at 00:51:26:

Hound,

I probibly catch 70% of my fish on a Wooly Bugger. I always use a bead or cone head on a # 8, 10 or 12 hook. The Olive seems to be better this year, but have had alot of good days with the black. If you recall the me tying one at the Fly Fling I showed some of the guys the one thing I put on mine that you dont find on most of the others...e-mail me and I will give you the secret recipe on a couple of good Woolys.

As far as fishing the Bugger there are a couple of good ways to do so...I like to dead drift them threw runs starting at the head and working my way down to the tail outs and try a dropper with the wooly as this will give a better attraction to your prey. Try picking up on the rod as the bend in you fly line starts to straighten out...this will give an emerger type of look to the fish. (Thanks Aaron) The other way I use a Wooly is casting to fish fedding on the suface along the banks. I watch for a rise and cast to the fish...then in short..smoth strips I bring it back to me. This works very well at time for me.

The Hooch is probibly the best place to perfect the use of the bugger...seems to work well on most trips that I have made there. Dont be afraid to tie on the dropper...GRHE works well.

Tight Lines...

Flyguy

picker of wooly buggers
striper and known dropper kind-a-guy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title: