Re: Which Fly Lines?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gman on August 18, 1998 at 18:32:28:

In Reply to: Re: Which Fly Lines? posted by FlygURL on August 17, 1998 at 18:21:37:

I'm assuming you mean fly dressing, as you said in your post, as opposed to fly LINE dressign? There must be some out there from the old times, probably lard or fish oil or something. Are you interested in making your own materials so as to become organic to the process, or for some other reason? Commercial dry fly floatant is cheap and very good, and so I've never considered buying any. The silicone stuff is good, and the paste stuff is also good. Depends on your taste, I guess.

Dry fly fishing is only about 150 years old, whereas wet-fly fishing is maybe 1000 years old, so a lot of techniques are still being developed with drys. Natural materials (like lard, or maybe vegetable oil) might work, but they also *might* raise the issue among some die-hard flyfishers of "chumming" for fish, since they have a natural scent and flavor. Some dry fly anglers are pretty senstitive in that regard.

As for WD-40, I've never tried it for fly lines, but it's supposed to be bad for some brands, like someone said. There's a thread on the VFS bb that deals with fly line cleaners, and it's informative. Best is supposed to be some product for UV protection in RV vehicles, like travel trailers. Personally, I use the Cortland pads, which I think are very handy and work great.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]