Re: Flyrod on the Jacks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Edwards on August 19, 1998 at 06:30:06:

In Reply to: Flyrod on the Jacks posted by Flyguy on August 18, 1998 at 20:37:06:

Yes, you will have plenty of room. I'm not sure which flies are best because I don't fly fish. If you are in the mood for hiking, the best fishing is just downstream of Jacks Falls. It is about a 3 mile hike from the parking lot to the falls. You will see a lot of people, mostly hikers at the falls. Very few fishing. Start just downstream of the falls. Jack's is a non-stocked river so the trout are very easily spooked. I think the best fishing starts at the falls because not many people fish that area because of the 3 mile hike. Every time I go, I get some monster hits but have been unable to bring them in. These trout will only hit once or twice and that's it. If you catch one out of a hole, might as well move on because the rest are spooked. Alot of people start fishing from the road (near the Conasauga River) and upstream. But you end up catching more Redeye Bass than trout. Plus there are more people to tend with. If you don't want to hike 3 miles, then try the 2 mile hike from Dally Gap on the Blue Ridge side of the Cohutta Wilderness. This is a much easier hike, more level. You'll be able to fish for about 1/2 to 1 mile of the river then you will have to hike further downsteam as the water gets super rough as it speeds through bolder country. It's all whitewater at that point for about a 1/2 mile or so. The Jacks is wide, swift and in some places deep. Hip waders are good for most places but chest waders would be better. Hope this info helps out a little. Email me if you want more detailed info.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]