Re: Which Fly Lines?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris England on August 19, 1998 at 12:25:51:

In Reply to: Re: Which Fly Lines? posted by Flyguy on August 18, 1998 at 15:57:50:

Wait a minute guys. Don't! put Armor All on your line unless you plan on using it for a short period of time. Ditto for WD-40. Long term exposure to WD-40 will cause the line to become brittle and crack.

Using ArmorAll is very popular amongst the competition fly casters. There's all sorts of lub's to get that extra foot or two, and ArmorAll is at the top. The problem is that ArmorAll attracts even more dirt, and will really cause problems out on the water. Take Steve Rajeff for example, he's the product director for Loomis, and is basically the Micheal Jordan of fly casting, and uses ArmorAll. (He has some tips on the web, but I can't remember the url.) But recommends not using it on the stream.

The only mixed use product that I "might" use on a line is cooking spray. It has some lubricating properties that haven't been reported to screw the line up, doesn't attract dirt as bad as ArmorAll, and most importantly "helps" reduce line guide icing. If any of you guys have fished steelies, out west in the winter, or for stripers, you'll know what I'm talking about (Flyguy, Do you fish in the winter when you go steelie fishing?)

One of the best things I've found for keeping line clean and ready to be dressed is finger sleeves. I've seen them in a couple of catalogs, but the ones I have are home made. All they are is a piece of lycra sewn into a tube that fits snugly over your index finger (tip exposed). I started using these to protect my stripping finger when I striper fish. We use streamers, and on a bad day make ~500 casts. When your finger starts getting "pruney", these save the skin from leaving the bone. The nice tradeoff is that they also clean the line as you strip, and the lycra is so slick that it doesn't affect the finish of the line.

-- tight lines.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]