Re: Summer Fishing ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by J. Webb on August 24, 1998 at 22:07:06:

In Reply to: Summer Fishing ? posted by Ben Simmons on August 24, 1998 at 07:25:45:

> Has anyone had any luck lately? We have been >fishing more and more and catching less and less. >We are planning a trip to Smithgall this w/e. >Sure would appreciate any info. John (mgr.) tells >me lots of folks have been catching big brook >trout.Any help would be appreciated.

Ben,

Fishing has been up and down. I could not say that it has been consistently slow. I fish every weekend and depending on what is going on with the weather on that particular day I have had some great days and others that were just good.

I have fished Smithgall/Duke's Ck. all but maybe three weekends over the past 4 months or so. The water is low and clear most days but a couple weeks back the overcast skies and a little bit of rain made it a pretty good day. This past weekend was the first that I have not had at least an 18 inch fish in a while. The biggest was 16" but a heck of a fight. Even though there are no visible hatches I would suggest trying a caddis floating over some of the calm, shallow pools particularly if you are one of the first to hit the hole. What has made the fishing tougher at Duke's lately was the fact that many people have been heading to the same section. Always fishing behind someone. But the fact is there are fish all up and down the stream.

I also fished Water's Ck. on Saturday with some great results. There are some really nice fish(caught my 18" fish there!). These fish are not nearly as 'conditioned' as the fish at Duke's as they have not had the pressure of people standing over them throwing constantly. If you have your WMA I would plan to make a visit there before they close for the season. You can likely be one of only three of four on the stream. I only fished the lower end and two holes at that but in an hour I caught 4 fish(8", 14", 16" and 18").

With all due respect to John, I know he fishes the small feeder streams occasionally for brookies above the lodgings, I have not seen any brooks down low. The young fellow working the desk when I was checking out was talking about brooks. I will say that I and my buddy saw a 16" plus brook at the back of the bridge hole several months back but when we asked we were assured that none had been put in. This was a very large brook to just have grown up in the stream. Who knows?

I wound up the weekend with my co-workers floating down the Hootch in th jon boat. I caught 3 fish with one being a nice holdover brown. Used spinners, which is not something I have done much of over the past several years but they seem to work there. I took the fly rod on some earlier trips but it is tough fishing it out of the boat while others are casting the spinners.

So, in my opinion fishing is still pretty good and comparitively better than some seasons past.

Have a good time at Duke's and let me know if you do see any brookies.

regards,

jwebb

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]