Re: Another Expense...or...saving money

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gman on August 28, 1998 at 14:05:59:

In Reply to: Another Expense...or...saving money posted by Rod on August 28, 1998 at 06:32:34:

I guess you save money in the long run, but it's a VERY L-O-N-G run. I figure I'll have start saving money about the year 2050.

Kits are OK for some flies, but are not a good deal, generally, because you get so much you can't use. A good vise is pretty cheap now, though, and likely a good vise came with your kit. Hackle for dry flies expensive and frequently uneven: it's graded by the year, and last year's grade 2 may be this year's grade 3 or grade 1. I buy Hoffman grade 2, which gives you down to size 18 (usually) with some 20s. The higher the grade the more size 20 and below hackles you get.

For me, tying is just one more aspect of flyfishing. I'll never save money, but I'll have control over my materials and have a good time tying. It's a good idea to take a class, also.

Collecting road kill hackle is risky. Possession of a raptor skin or feathers will get you in a lot of trouble, financial and legal.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]