Re: ants/dropper

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by NetBoy on August 28, 1998 at 20:16:00:

In Reply to: ants/dropper posted by loren on August 28, 1998 at 19:28:05:

> Jimmy Jacobs commented in his latest edition that the black ant makes up a large portion of the Georgia trout diet, so why it is I hear so little about ant patterns? Any ant afficienados? Patterns?

> I'm going to Jacks River tomorrow. Would like to fish a dry and nymph. How should I tie a dropper? Using a 7.5 3 wt rod. Any suggested combinations?

> What are some favorite strike indicators? With a 9' leader, where should I put the indicator? With a fly and dropper - where there?

I like a little wing of white poly yarn to help see the ant. The rest is a dubbed black body and hackle. I've heard several people say they have had success with a black ant this time of year.

I usually tie a dropper to the bend of the indicator's hook. Length is about two times the estimated depth of the water. Cast and watch for a pause or dip of the indicator fly. Most fish I catch take the dropper (usually a bead head nymph). I feel the dropper hinders the performance of the indicator fly but I have caught some fish on the indicator.
An important tip is to open the casting loop to help prevent tangles. Also take care of any tangles ASAP.

My new favorite indicator is BioStrike. Bright orange moldable stuff. Use as much as needed. Easy to reposition once you get used to it (sticky stuff). Very easy to see, even in low light.

NetBoy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]