Re: Hooker et al.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hooker on September 02, 1998 at 18:55:06:

In Reply to: Hooker et al. posted by Rod on September 01, 1998 at 10:20:20:

Rod,
Bill Couch can probably give a more definitive answer about this than me.
It is my experience that female trout have eggs in them year around, and males also have the male parts. However, to get in the mood, takes a unique combination of day length and water temperature. I've seen Browns go into prespawn on the Hooch as early as August, but they really don't get down to business until November. That is when the larger Browns are caught that are
releasing eggs and milt when you pick them up out of the water.
The "spawning colors" that your seeing on some of the fish I think are probably the result of eating insects that are rich in pigments like
carotene and xanthophyll. Notice that these bright colors only occur on fish that have been in the river for a while. Stockers are typically not colored up like this because their hatchery diet doesn't contain any of these pigments.
I think what you experienced was just a great day of fishing, and is not a trend toward a premature spawn. I fished above Island Ford last saturday, and had a good day, but didn't see any swollen bellies, eggs, or milt on of any of the
fish.
Even so, I think November is going to be phenomenal, because the river is packed with Browns, and the green stain that takes away the spawners wariness is back.

I can't wait.

Hooker

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]