Re: Jet Drive Outboard Motors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Moye on September 07, 1998 at 08:37:12:

In Reply to: Re: Jet Drive Outboard Motors posted by Hooker on September 06, 1998 at 21:39:14:

Thanks for the info Hooker. That was just what I wanted to know. You saved me a lot of headache and foot work.

> To move that Panfish with a jet drive, you're going to need at least a 40hp jet. So now you're not legal on Juliette anymore. There is a 25% loss of efficiency with a jet compared to a prop.
> The jet is going to cost $1000 more than a prop of equal power. Also, Yamaha jets are the most expensive on the market. I bought my Mercury 30 jet (40hp) for $3200, and Yamaha's equivalent was $5400. Go figure.
> One of the problems you're going to have on Juliett with a jet is the weeds. They get pulled into the intake, and you lose power.
> Jets were really designed for running shallow rivers. A jet drive, if it is set up properly, will get your boat through 4" of water.
> If all you're fishing is Juliette, I don't believe I would go through all the expense and trouble. Your transom would have to be modified to raise the jet to the right height, and you would probably need stick steering. Also, jets use a lot of gas. I have to carry at least 12gal with me to cover a normal day of fishing.

> Hope this helps.

> Hooker

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]