Re: Tippet size 2x 4x etc. and other questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by NetBoy on September 11, 1998 at 15:02:42:

In Reply to: Tippet size 2x 4x etc. and other questions posted by Bill Findlay on September 11, 1998 at 13:01:59:

> Well, I am back to pick your brains again. i have taken the advice I have recieved in teh past and put it to good use. I have actually caught more fish. Lehngthing my leader changing my fly selection, and trying my hand at nymph fishing.
> I would like to know what it means when someone is talking about stripping speed. The only speed I know that has to do with "stripping"is slow. Is this with a streamer?
> Also, What are the differences in tippet? 2x 4x 6x etc. I have been using 4x just because it wound up in my basket at the shop.
> Thank youin advance.
> i am going to find a new pool.

I heard somewhere that the smallest fly you should use is 4 times the tippet size (ex. 5X tippet - size 20 fly). I've been using 6X for the Hootch and haven't had a fish break off yet. But then again I mainly use 5X at Dukes and have had a couple break off.
The confusing part for me is that the strength (lbs) will vary for each tippet size by manufacturer.

I think stripping speed is whatever the fish like.
Right now the Hootch fish seem to like some action on the fly.

NetBoy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]