Re: Tippet size 2x 4x etc. and other questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gman on September 12, 1998 at 09:37:24:

In Reply to: Re: Tippet size 2x 4x etc. and other questions posted by Gman on September 12, 1998 at 09:29:52:

>Sorry, I pushed the wrong button. Stripping for trout depends on what you're trying to imitate, which depends on the fly. If you're imitating a baitfish, strip pretty fast, if a nymph or a crawfish or a muddler, fairly slow. You can't strip faster than a trout can swim, unless you're trying for a stripping record. The Wolly Bugger is a wonderful fly, which can imitate either a minnow or a crawfish or maybe a big stonefly nymph, so whichever works, use it. I strip fast in 6-8" strips, I strip slow by winding the flyline in my hand. Both work, depending on what you're trying to imitate.

Also, I started to say this above, but diameters differ between manufacturers of leader/tippet material. It's best to stay with one brand unless you know the diameter of your leader components. I mike mine, so I know, and have found Maxima to not be true to the advertised dimaeter, consistantly by .001. This doesn't matter in the heavy part of a leader but does in the lower parts, especially when you mix Maxima with some other material, like Rio. I like Maxima for leader butts, so I use it, but I know the diameter.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]