Re: Missoula bound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ben Simmons on September 15, 1998 at 17:18:20:

In Reply to: Missoula bound posted by Osprey on September 13, 1998 at 19:23:23:

> any updates from out west... I leave thurs. for rock creek & the bitteroot.

> Steve, did you have any trouble on the shoals down on the flint. I have been itching to try it.

> Later

> Osprey

Osprey,

My oldest son (Scott)attended The University of Montana in Missoula (but he finished this summer and is @UGA now). Great school and fantastic fly fishing. What could be better? My entire family has spent untold hours on both of these streams and I have a hard time deciding which to fish when I go. This year I would concentrate on the Bitter0root at Bells' Crossing. Scott has had more success there recently than Rock Creek. He attributes this to the whirling disease problem that is more evident on Rock Creek than the Bitter root. I personally enjoy fishing Rock more but it's such a close call ! I know the crossing is a superb area and if I were going I would fish it hard. If you have time, the Bob Marshal Wilderness area is the best there is but you have to hike in 6-10 miles to get to what we think is the best fly fishing in the state.
Whichever location you choose, I would concentrate on olive or green caddis (14-16),orange stimulators (12-14) and Henryville Specials or Hemmingway caddis (12-18). Hoppers like Daves' are great for mid-day along the grassy banks. I have had great success fishing sparkle emerging caddis from about 3:00pm until the hatch hits (like snow) about 7:00pm until dark. At 7:00 or so I switch to a EHC. Of course all of this is subject to change and usually does. I hope you do great whichever stream you decide to work. If you have a chance, check out our family website: http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/8825/ We have some pictures from Montana trips.

Tight lines,
Ben

PS. My youngest son (MATT) works at the Athens Fly Shop (706)369-1797. He can give you some more details on guides etc. if you need it. My favorite shop and service is The Grizzly Hackle in downtown Missoula but he knows more people out there than I do.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]