Loren--Isand Ford

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rod on September 18, 1998 at 07:17:16:

Couldn't post a follow-up to your message below so I do so here.

Don't be discouraged by your lack of success! I would suggest trying different holes. Most people fish Island Ford around the shoals at the head of the island. While there are nice fish there, it is over fished, and by the time you get there you may be the 20th person to drift a GRHE through a run.

Different people swear by different sections at I.F. so I'll not pretend to know the hot spots but do suggest that you do a lot of prospecting.

Tie on a black or olive BH woolie bugger, read the water and start catching fish. I use GRHE, bh woolies, soft hackles (which have been deadly during the recent BWO hatches) and EHC. I don't know that these flies imitate something the fish are actively feeding on but I do know that I'm comfortable with fishing them and that's half the battle.

Last night I had a good bit of action on #18 adams during a decent BWO hatch. When the hatch got more sparse I swithed to the soft hackles and had strikes on every other cast or so (when I fished across or downstream--instead of the usually more productive upstream and across drift--go figure?).---Lesson I learned--I need to sharpen my hooks! Missed a lot of fish and "quick released" alot because I had a couple flies on that have caught more fish than they should have survived.

don't be afraid to get into a rythm of your own. Read the books and listen to other ff as far as technique goes, but sometimes the fish are fishy and you have to do weird things to catch them. I have had more days when the fish wanted the flies in a "non-technical" manner than I'd like to admit.

I Ramble and must go.
Email me if you'd like specific technique advise.

Rod

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]