Hooker: boats & batteries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob B. on September 22, 1998 at 15:04:54:

Hooker,
Do you have two batteries in your boat, one for the trolling motor & one for starting the gas motor? Are the batteries in the back of the boat?

I am using one battery for the trolling motor and to start the gas motor (gas motor has a pull cord for backup). The battery is located under the front seat which give me a better weight distribution. The boat skims across the water when on plane.

I have a 40 amp breaker on the positive terminal of the battery. It will trip if I run the trolling motor on high for more than a few minutes (I think the wire heats up which causes the breaker to trip early). The breaker tripped Sunday while trying to start the gas motor at the boat ramp (1st time for this). I think I flooded the engine so that it did not start right away causing a high demand on the battery and maybe a voltage drop causing the breaker to pop.

I am going to run #2 wire from the battery to the back of the boat for the motor starter (using #6 now) and separate the wires (in the same conduit now). This should reduce the voltage drop and heating problems.

Trying to keep the weight down.
Bob

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]