Re: Trout swallowed a hook

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ NGTO Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Webb on August 24, 1996 at 02:45:43:

In Reply to: Re: Trout swallowed a hook posted by G.R.Wilt on August 24, 1996 at 00:30:05:

: : I've had couple of occasions where the trout has swallowed the hook. I heard that if you just cut the line the fish will live. Does anyone know if this is true?

: Leave the hook in.It will eventually rust out.In the future try removing the barb by mashing
: it down.I've caught more trout using debarbed hooks-you need not hold trout to release it.Saves
: trout and allows you to get back to fishing sooner.Honest it really works.All flies I now tie
: have their barbs removed.Good fishing.

That is not necessarily so. My views changed significantly after reading George Reiger's article,
'Saving Fish... And Fishing' in the June '96 Field & Stream(pg. 16). These fish which have swallowed
a hook(has nothing to do with barbless or not) are at a much increased risk in even the most minimal
stress conditions. What is even MORE significant is the time a fish is out of the water. Especially
when the fish is exhausted(very likely with light tippets or UL Spinning). This study showed that
of exhausted fish kept out of the water for 60 seconds or more(while you struggle with a hook, measure,
take a picture or such) 72% were dead within 3 days.

Rarely a fish swallows a hook. Occasionally the hook has done damage. But I am much more conscious of
getting fish released and forego measuring or photos if the fish is worn down.

I wish the findings in the article could be more widely distributed.

Good Luck,

Joe Webb

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ NGTO Message Board ] [ FAQ ]