Re: Fly tying advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Wesson on August 14, 1997 at 11:29:57:

In Reply to: Re: Fly tying advice posted by Len Taliaferro on May 22, 1997 at 14:51:03:

: : I've been fly fishing for trout for over 20 years. In the past I have relied on friends
: : to tie flies for me. In fact, I used to tie a few, when i was 12 or 13
: : on very crude equipment, but that's been almost 15 years ago. I still remember a good bit,
: : but would like to get some info on good quality instruction, and worthy
: : equipment. I'm trying to stay away from picking up a "starter" kit. My assumtion is
: : that I may be getting stuff that I really don't need. (I can produce on just about any river
: : in GA with ~ 8 flies of varying sizes.

: : Any advice would be great...

: Chris--GRW is absolutely right. You don't need to spend a lot of money to get started; especially if you know the patterns you want to
: tie and the materials you'll need. I got started with an inexpensive Tackl-Tyers kit and it did contain a lot of stuff I never used, but it
: did have a decent vise which was probably worth the price of the kit. I used it for a lot of years adding the materials I needed as I expanded
: my collection. I think the most important tools are a good vise, a good bobbin and a good pair of scissors (fingernail scissors work great).
: You can make a bodkin out of a needle and wooden dowel. Beyond those items, nearly everything else is strictly a matter of personal preference
: and convenience. I recently bought an inexpensive portable vise with assorted tools from Cabela's for $29.95. I got it for streamside tying but
: I've found myself using it at home since it's less trouble to get out and set up than my regular stuff. Unfortunately, I'm in a situation at home
: where I don't have a bench that I can leave set up permanently, so I've got to unpack, set up, do my tying, then take down, repack and store everything.
: In addition to the tools, you'll need thread (prewaxed, black to start), head cement (super glue is good and cheap), hooks to match your patterns, and
: some non-toxic fine lead wire if you're going to tie nymphs. Getting started, I'd go with wool or chenniel in the appropriate colors of your patterns,
: some good grizzly hackle that works both as hackle and wings for a bunch of different flies. You'll need some wing material to match your patterns and
: probably some other feathers to use as tails or antennae. Finally, you ought to get one good book on fly tying. Most shops have several good ones at
: assorted prices. Again, a high price doesn't necessarily mean the best value so check them all and see which appeals to you most. As GRW said, once you
: get started you'll eventually accumulate enough stuff to tie virtually any known pattern and a few of you own creations. I can assure you that you'll
: never forget the first time you catch a fish on a fly you've tied. And, you'll never forget the first time you catch a fish on a fly pattern you've
: invented. Good Luck!

Just started tying myself. I highly recommend contacting Michael Hogue @ Midwest flytying. He put a kit together for me w/ vice, tools and materials
based on a list of flys I wanted to tie. He also sent me some practice materials free, and tying instructions for different flies. He has good prices
and a nice webpage.
Michael Wesson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]