Re: CATCH & RELEASE/calcium carbonate

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by PGM on August 14, 1997 at 21:38:20:

In Reply to: Re: CATCH & RELEASE posted by Hooker on August 13, 1997 at 22:49:49:

> Paul,
> As water dissolves the calcium carbonate, it releases
> carbon dioxide into the water. Carbon dioxide plus
> water plus sunlight in the chloroplasts of water
> plants yield glucose. This basic reaction is the key
> to life on our planet, as well as the fish life in
> the Hooch. The more carbon dioxide present, the stronger
> the food chain, and the better the fishing.
> My first thoughts about dumping calcium carbonate
> into the river would be the expense. It could be
> prohibitive. I don't know, but I'll do some research
> on it.
> Calcium carbonate is the reason and the
> Soque is such a great stream. It has a marble/limestone
> bedrock, and as a result, a tremendous food base.

> Good thoughts Paul!

> Hooker

Paul..First on catch and may be on to something. I have always felt that just after stocking some of the stockers (maybe their gene pool is a little closer to the wild type) disperse into the stream while the majority stay at the stocking point. You can see this phenomenon at Burrell's Ford for instance. After the stockers are fished out by the group that follows the stocking truck the fishing becomes much more challenging to say the least. I think these, lets call them "wild type stockers", probably are the ones that will hold over if released and turn into those trophy fish. Hooker, maybe C&R for the bigger fish is better. Again, good thoughts. Next the calcium angle. I am not an aquatic expert but my background is ecology and botany. Hooker I would expect that to use most CaCo3 sources would release Co2 to rapidly and possibly cause an O2 depletion kill or a drastic imbalance in a very delicate ecosystem. Your Soque River info was enlightening... I have always wondered what the Magic was. Possibly placing some fairly insoluble CaCo3 source to release slowly (maybe like processsed high calcium bedrock...sounds goofy but I'm serious) near prime water would over time, gently improve the aquatic ecosystem. Sorry for the ramble but y'all got the juices churning.--- PGM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]