Re: Mountaintown Creek

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Webb on August 19, 1997 at 23:57:30:

In Reply to: Mountaintown Creek posted by Rod Murray on August 18, 1997 at 19:32:18:

> On Sunday 8/17/97 I tried to find Mountaintown Creek. I was interested in the stretch above Hill's Lake but FS 90 to the lake was closed. In dispair I went back to Bear Creek camping area but was not sure how far it was to the lake and the legendary fishing above.
> Can somone tell me how far above the camping area is the lake and how is the fishing on the way up? Also, what can I expect fishing wise above the lake and fly suggestions.

> Thanks,
> Rod Murray
> Cleveland, TN

I can't say that I am an expert on the area as I have only fished it once. I was using the directions from Jacob's book to find the stream and unless I just completely misunderstood, the directions, specifically the mileage outside of Ellijay, is not accurate.
Although I went to the portion of the stream more easily accessible first, it held many fish(winter). I then left to fish the upper section above Hill's Lake. The road in is more rugged, ORV/SUV is suggested. I had some concerns as I drove past no trespassing signs
and private property. The stream is there though and you can not miss it as it is at the end of the existing logging road. I did not have much time as the days were short and I wanted to get out before dark. I was using a spinning outfit, dead drifting artificials.
The stream does look to be very well suited for fly casting. AS for patterns, I would suggest Hare's Ear as usual(most any of the typical nymph patters), San Juan worm in natural/brown or red, and likely an elk hair caddis. These fish do not appear to get a lot of
pressure and though a stealthy approach is indicated, they should be aggresive.

As for going in, the road before the campground entrance is actually a better route for both sections. I only exited this way so I am unsure of my path. There should be a road, unpaved, on your left at some point. As I recall, it would be the first road you will come to.
The loggin road you are looking for is just before a bridge. I wish I could be more specific on directions, but this is the best I can do from memory. I may have a topo with this area and will update if this is the case.

Good luck,

Joe Webb

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]