Re: Why do you fish?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Murf on August 26, 1997 at 20:28:08:

In Reply to: Why do you fish? posted by Hooker on August 24, 1997 at 22:50:22:

> Just curious, because I sometimes have trouble
> defining what drives me.

I have asked myself the same question countless times. Why do I fish?! I have never been able to answer it to my satisfaction. Reading all the other responses here, I haven't heard anything I haven't thought myself. And still it hasn't anwered the question deep within me. Perhaps I fish, to find the answer to this very question, if that makes any sense!

Why do I get up early in the morning on a rainy day to leave my wife and drive for hours to stand in a stream? Even on beautiful days when she comes with, standing next to me with a rod, or on the bank reading or watching me...I'm still a million miles away from her.

There is the obvios and powerful bonding between family and friends. I was just a boy the last time I last fished with my grandfather, but when I feel the tug of fish on his old rod I feel conected with him, I guess this is why I cherish every oppurtunity to fish with my father now. Like Rod in his response, I picked up a fly rod (my grandfathers) for the first time this year. After years of being an avid angler, I was transfered to another plateau.

To say fishing is a way of life is come up very short. It is my life. It is the defining point of my being. To me there is no distiction from the question 'why do you fish?' and 'who am I?', 'why am I here?' or 'what is the meaning of life?'

I fish...therefore I am.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]