Re: Advise for Coleman River for Sept. trip

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Len Taliaferro on September 02, 1997 at 14:52:57:

In Reply to: Advise for Coleman River for Sept. trip posted by John on September 01, 1997 at 20:07:14:

> I'm going to be camping along the Coleman late this month. Any advise on what flies to use or any particular spots on the river more productive than others. Also, is it catch and release or would it be pretty much fished out by now? Thanks
> John

John -- I fished the Coleman about three weeks ago and did not have much luck. Walked the entire trail from the mouth of the river and only catches weres a five-inch rainbow about 200 yards from the mouth of the river right at the trail head and another five-incher in an easily accessible fast run about half-way up. Caught those
fish on a yellow and grizzly wooly worm that matched caterpillers that were munching on trees in the area. Also fished the Tallulah River and fish were hitting a ginger and peacock nymph, and a grey CDC emerger as well as the wooly worm. Tried both on the Coleman but only the wooly worm drew strikes and those were minimal. Had only
three total strikes and caught two of those, both of which I released. The Coleman is an Artificials Only river at its confluence with the Tallulah but it is not Catch & Release. I really saw very little indication of fish in the river, even in the larger pools. I'd suggest that you give it a try and if your luck is like mine, go back
to the Tallulah and fish it. I had good catches there of 10-14 inch fish. Bait fishermen were catching limits on corn and crickets but they were mostly stockers. Fly fishermen were catching smaller strings 4-6 of larger fish. In any case, the trail along the Coleman is spectacularly beautiful and well worth the one-mile walk even if
don't catch fish. I assume you're aware that the only campgrounds along the Coleman are primitive. Have a good trip.

Len

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]