Re: Attractors/Stimulators

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim on September 09, 1997 at 14:12:53:

In Reply to: Attractors/Stimulators posted by Jim Howard on September 08, 1997 at 19:13:02:

> Anybody got time for a question from a neophyte? I've noticed in a couple of postings the mention of a stimulator or attractor. Could somebody explain what this is and how it works? I've deduced (perhaps incorrectly) that it is used in conjunction with a nymph, but I'm not quite clear on when you would/wouldn't use it and how it might work. Would you use it in place of or with a strike indicator?

> Sorry for what I'm sure seems like a simple question, but everybody has to start somewhere!

Jim - basically, flies can be divided into two catagories, attractors and imitations. An imitation is any fly pattern (wet, dry, nymph) that mimics a real insect or larva. These are used primarily when there is a noticable hatch that the fish are feeding on, and you need
to "match the hatch". An attactor is any pattern that does not mimic a specific insect specifically, and is used when there is not a hatch to match. A stimulator is a specific pattern, which is an attractor. Examples of common attractors are the Royal Coachman and Royal Wulff,
and the Gold Ribbed Hares Ear and Pheasant tail nymphs. Many north Georgia streams are too acidic to have prolific hatches, so much, if not most of my fishing is done with attractors.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]