Re: Opinion's Sought:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Don Wilhide on September 09, 1997 at 16:40:08:

In Reply to: Re: Opinion's Sought: posted by Len Taliaferro on September 03, 1997 at 13:52:57:

> > I really have enjoyed reading WHY we all fish,thanks to Hooker.
> > I am curious as to this:
> > How do you guys feel when you see someone else posting directions and/or
> > hints about your favorite stream or fishing hole on a popular billboard.?
> > This has happened a couple of times to me. I was wondering how my fellow
> > anglers feel about it

> Skip -- I think this is an individual and personal decision. In my case, I have no problem sharing information on
> the places I fish because I want others to enjoy the same good experiences that I have had. In the case of trout
> fishing in North Georgia, most of the streams are stocked regularly and are open to the public. Many are crowded
> throughout the season. But they don't belong to us individually, they belong to all of us, collectively. And, many
> of the smaller trout are caught soon after stocking by bait fishermen. But I've found that I can
> generally catch larger hold-over fish by fly fishing in direct competition with the bait fishermen. As a result, we
> both enjoy our sport. What bothers me much worse is what I perceive to be arrogance on the part of many fly fishing
> purists. They seem to look down their noses at bait fishermen and belittle their fishing methods. Many of the purists
> seemto think that catch and release is the only approrpiate method of fishing anywhere. I frankly think there's room
> for all of us. In fact, I do not believe that the fly fishing purist would have anywhere near the opportunity for a wide
> variety of trout streams if it were not for the popularity of trout fishing among bait fishermen. They create the
> demand which results in the widespread stocking programs and they pay their way through their purchase of fishing
> licenses and trout stamps. And while sometimes I get a bit frustrated with crowds and inconsiderate yocals, I try to
> remember if it weren't for them, I might not have the opportunity to catch that holdover two-pounder on a fly.

> I also support a limited number of artificials only, catch and release with minimum size limits in order to build
> trophy trout areas. But in order to have those kinds of streams, you've got to have the revenues from those who
> fish for meat and don't mind keeping five and six-inch stockers.

> I personally won't keep a fish less than ten inches and then only if I plan to have them for dinner. But that's my
> choice. I've also found that even if I have a really special hole, often it's not easily accessible and even if I
> pass it on, only a serious fisherman will make the effort to get to it. Sometimes, the best fishing places protect
> themselves by being hard to get to. Most meat fishermen are going to fish only those spots that are easy to get to.

> Finally, I feel that if I pass on a good fishing location to a fellow fisherman, perhaps he, or she, will develop
> the same love for the sport and the same appreciation for protecting the fishery and the environment that I have.
> To me, the good things in life are things that we share with others, whether it be directly or spiritually. Fly
> fishing for trout is one of those good things.

> Len

Len I couldn't agree with you more. I have grown up trout fishing, and started fly-fishing about 20 years ago. I still consider myself a beginner. I am teaching my 3 year old daughter the joys of fishing, bait fishing that is, because she is too young to fly-fish (for a few more years). When she and I go fishing, which is about every weekend, we use bait. The joy she gets out of seeing and catching fish is well worth any purists dirty looks. I love to fly-fish more than anything else in the world (besides my family) and believe very srongly in the preservation of our natural resources. I want to raise both of my daughters to love and respect what God has given us to share and enjoy.
I have learned so much by reading the NGTO message board that it is unbelievable. I moved here from PA. last spring and thought that my trout fishing days were over, but how was I wrong. I still do not know where all to fish, I have a copulpe of places that I go, but with the info gathered here I'll always have a new place to try.
I would like to thank everyone here, I feel that I know you all personally through fishing, for helping me make my transition from a transplated Pennslyvanian to a tranplanted Georianer.

YThank you all again!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]