Re: Help with first trip to the Chatooga.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by PGM on September 09, 1997 at 19:29:29:

In Reply to: Help with first trip to the Chatooga. posted by Don Nielsen on September 08, 1997 at 19:46:44:

> I was going to backpack/camp/trout fish the Chatooga north of 28 in the next few weeks. This is my first trip and I could sure use some advise on where to try my luck fishing. I'm a spin-cast fisherman if that helps any. Thank you.

Don-- The Chatooga is one of my favorites also and has always been good to me. Here's a spot that is pretty nice and close to where you'll be anyway..you may want to check it out..drive in work it a bit then head on or try it on the way out.
On Warwoman road just before you get to 28 you'll cross a bridge over the west fork. Take the dirt road to the left and drive until you cross a bridge..a couple miles (not really sure..don't pay much attention to details when I'm in trout mode!) Park at the bridge and work back downstream until you hit a couple big boulders in the water (prob. 1/2 mile) Try your spinners but also try a floating blue 5f rapala in the riffles and runs and in the deeper runs try a red angle worm with a small weight to get it to drop. Caught a 19" 2.25# brown on an angle worm on 4# test and 4.5' UL rig in one of the deep runs.
Usually there are corn people at the bridge but usually its been pretty quiet when I've been there despite the ease of access and primative camp sites. When I'm not fly fishing I almost always try the blue rapala first cast on my UL rig and get good results. Last time at the Chatooga though in Aug. after no luck with flys, nymphs, spinners, and rapalas I caught supper on a red and white angle worm working the shallow fast water.
Good luck.---PGM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]