Re: Where's Hooker's Response?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by J. Webb on September 12, 1997 at 23:09:09:

In Reply to: Re: Where's Hooker's Response? posted by Al on September 12, 1997 at 07:47:29:

> I am certainly no expert, but I do have more than thirty years of trout fishing experiance. Why do trout like corn? That is one of those mysteries that probably never will be solved, just like the JFK thing. My personal opinion here is that it just looks like something that needs to be eaten. Trout, for the most part, seem to be opprotunistic feeders, that is they will take almost anything if if is presented in the correct manner. I have cleaned trout and found ciggerette butts in their belly along with corn, sticks, pebbles and yes even flies. So you see, its no so much what you fish with, unless there is a hatch, its how you present it to the fish. I also have it on pretty good authority (the folks at Buford Hatchery) that trout are NEVER fed corn. Their food is a cylindrical pellet about 3/16" dia. and about 1/4" long and grey/brown in color. It really doesn't even resemble corn.

> PS. I would like to hear other opinions.

My information and experience are similar. Trout are no doubt opportunistic feeders. They also haev teh ability to learn to some degree. Those who learn more faster live and grow. Those which waste energy and fill there stomachs with undigestible materials will surely die of starvation. Not necessarily what they have eaten. A couple of examples. Several years back I and my partner were fishing on Nimblewill. I took a few fish. Upon getting the fish home and cleaning it I examined the stomach contents as a general procedure. This fish, among other things had a belly full of some hard green seed which we had seen floating down the stream. The fish did not eat just one.

I also had an experience at Duke's Creek last year where I foul hooked a fish. It was not a typical foul hook though. On first sight I thought I had snagged the fish directly in the anal opening. Did not seem reasonable. When the fish was closer, I noticed that my line was actually snagged on something protruding from the fish. Landing the fish I finally figured out that the eye end of a #6 hook was sticking out and on it was a hardened U-shaped piece of an artificial worm. The fish had passed it that far somehow. I did 'outpatient surgery' and was able to slide the hook out. Of course the fish took the natural appearing bait but remarkably it managed to pass a hook NEARLY out of it's digestive tract. I doubt a piece of corn will kill.

Some of this may also come from those who 'meat fish' and see no reason to return a fish to the stream. I have returned many stockers with hopes that they have gained soem education from the experience and will be in the stream longer and provide more challenge. Upon releasing these fish in the presence of these hungry anglers I have observed head shakes and comments that the fish would die anyway after being caught. Who knows? I would also suggest that corn is highly visible and the density/resistance allows it to float slightly off the bottom. I have not used corn in several years and find that I can usually out fish corn users with pom poms(Have caught 2" - 4" stream bred trout on these, doubtful they have seen trout pellets) or my little green worms.

I have been asked by some of the corn users what bait and have shared it in the past. The fact is though that technique and presentation are crucial as mentioned. Light line, downstream drift, a good feel of the line and making good cast to fish holds all are needed for success.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]