Re: Questions RE: Soque River

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by J. Webb on September 16, 1997 at 01:47:21:

In Reply to: Re: Questions RE: Soque River posted by Bob Beck on September 14, 1997 at 18:06:57:

> There is some mis-information being spread here. The Soque River is just like every other river and creek in NE Georgia; slightly acidic and freestone. There are big fish in the Soque just like there are big fish in Dukes Creek (and used to be in Waters Creek) because of trout chow. I hate to burst your bubble, but no food, no big fish. The limestone myth was probably started by the pay-to-fish folks who want you to believe you are fishing for "natural" fish. I have nothing against feeding fish, just say so and enjoy.

There are areas that do grow a few larger fish where the food chain is better. The fact is though that you can not walk a 2 mile stretch and even see one of these fish let alone 50 plus. Another thing I have noted is that fish are also fed on rented streams in the west/southwest. If you take note of the fish gracing the covers of most of the flyfishing magazines, the fish are rarely over 16" and almost never 20" or longer. Some the fishing shows on our new cable channels show some larger fish, Canada, Scotland, New Zealand. These fish all seem to be sea run. Our trophy fisheries ae anything but natural. Water's was better, in my opinion from '92 - '94 as fish were a little less dense. Dule's seems reasonable unless you are up near the lodge area.

There is no comparison to the challenge provided by 'wild' fish in small streams, one or two per fish hold, very wary. You don't stand over these fish or have them swim between your legs. BUT, they also don't strip line out and put the fear in you that there is NOTHING you can really do to control the fish with the small line and stream born obstacles. Both are exciting for different reasons. Small fish are overlooked. I should remember this.

Have fun,

J. Webb

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]