Re: Advice on SC. trout fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Henry W. on September 17, 1997 at 09:36:14:

In Reply to: Advice on SC. trout fishing posted by Roger on September 09, 1997 at 22:20:12:

> Hello
> I have just moved to SC. from Ga., where I used to
> fish the Hooch regularly.
> I am needing any advice I can get on the Chatooga
> or any other good streams in Oconee County.
> I will be using fly tackle.

> Thanks Roger

The suggestions grw made are on the mark. I am an native of Oconee County (but now live towards Greenville). For quality trout waters in SC stick to:
Main stem of the Chatooga (Burrels Ford and up into NC is the best for wild fish - SC HWY 28 up to Burrels Ford is fair);
The East Fork of the Chatooga (my favorite) from confluence with main stem up to Sloans Bridge is excellent and has many holdover rainbows and also native browns. Can also access at the Fish hatchery;
The Whitewater has a very nice access at Duke Power Company's Bad Creek Project (SCHWY 130) and is absolutely beautiful;
The Thompson is very good, but is moderate hike to the river and is rugged once you are there (Access via same trail for the Whitewater river);
The Chauga is totally hatchery supported, but does have some have some good fish and is very scenic;
The Eastatoe (off Hwy 178) runs through a Natural Heritage Preserve of old growth forest and is worth the trip just to see it. I was told logging in the upper parts of the watershed have impacted the river in the past 5 years or so.

There are also several smaller streams which hold trout, but are really to small to effectively fly-fish.

For trophy trout, Lake Jocassee is it. Browns (fall) and rainbow (winter) make spawning runs up most of the major feeder creeks/rivers (Thompson, Horsepasture, etc.). Note: SC streams are closed from 11/1-4/1 to protect spawning fish. NC streams are open. During the runs, you can cast over 5-10 pound trout. Of course they are hard as heck to catch.

Contact me if you need some more specific information/directions.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]