Re: grass carp

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Len Taliaferro on September 22, 1997 at 08:22:22:

In Reply to: grass carp posted by Caot. Harlan Trammell on September 15, 1997 at 15:49:40:

> caught 12# grass carp in river 9/14 2 miles north of abbott's. has any one else caught any? if so where, how big and on what? these fish look totally different than the standard issue carp.they have pointy heads and a mullet-like mouth. their dorsals are troutlike as opposed to long and spiny on a common carp. who stocked these and why?need info.

I don't know what a grass carp is, but my daughter spotted an albino carp on the Tallulah River upstream from the Sandy Bottom Campground in mid-August. She tried to catch it with a nymph, corn and powerbait but couldn't get it to react. She said the fish was very lethargic but did not seem ill. I thought Carps were warm water fish. The water temperature
on the Tallulah that day was ranging from 62 in the mornings to 68 at mid-afternoon--not exactly warm. Years ago, I landed a 15+ pound carp on the Buffalo River in Arkansas while fishing for Smallmouth bass. Can't remember what I caught it on, but it was a good thing I was using my bass rig because that fish would have totally destroyed my trout rod. I
suprised at the catch because when I was a kid we always fished for carp with doughballs since supposedly they were vegetarians. My dad told me later that I should have brought the fish home because he had a good recipe for cooking Carp. Here's the recipe:

Find two (or more) soft cow patties about the size of the carp.
Pack the cow paties around the carp until the fish is completely sealed in.
Place the fish and patties on hot coals turning regularly until the patties
are completely dry and crusty.
break open the cow patties and remove the fish.
Throw the carp away and eat the cow patties.

My dad said he never tried the recipe but he had eaten carp and he thought the recipe was probably the best thing to do with Carp.

Len

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]