Re: Brook Trout

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on November 17, 1997 at 21:11:49:

In Reply to: Re: Brook Trout posted by Max Holstein on March 17, 1997 at 19:19:31:

: : Any suggestions on where to fish for wild Brookies here in GA?

:
: Bill:
: I haven't run accross any wild brookie streams here in N.Ga. I guess mainly because most of the streams that did contain them have been stocked with rainbows & browns & that just about does the wild brookies in. My favorite wild brookie stream is in West Virginia and the best I can do is tell you the type of stream to look for. It can't be a stream that has been stocked. Usually the stream will be a small tributary stream coming out of the mountains & needs to have a good volume of water year round. Generally the stream will be narrow, fast moving with small pockets & pools. The streams will also need to have breaker falls that would keep browns & rainbows from migrating up stream. You might try feeder creeks of Turniptown Creek, Mountaintown Creek or Noontoola Creak in Gilmer & Fannin Co. I would bet that the area of Gilmer, Fannin & a few counties east of there would be the only likely spots in the state to hold wild brookies. I just bought Jimmy Jacobs' 2nd Edition of Trout Fishing in North Georgia, he devotes a few pages to brook trout but most of what he talks about are stocked brooks. They are pretty rare but there is no greater joy than seeing a 6 inch red spotted trout sip a #22 fly off the top of a ripple. Good luck & keep looking!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]