Re: Winter Trout Fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Webb on December 08, 1997 at 23:54:26:

In Reply to: Winter Trout Fishing posted by Mark Ader on December 08, 1997 at 19:24:25:

> Can anyone suggest a good georgia trout stream to fish in the December/January months?

> Your advice is appreciated.

> Mark

I have no experience with the 'Hootch below Buford Dam but the posts I have read from Rod, Hooker and Jeff indicate this is a good time to fish that area. I am, at this time fishing the same stream week after week. I REALLY enjoy Duke's Creek. It is open and fishable. Water, though a little low, is at a good level but very clear. I fished Sunday afternoon in probably the coldest weather so far(hands numbed in the water in less than 30 seconds. That said, the fish were not as active as the previous week(cold and rainy) but still a load of fun. I landed 5 fish ranging 18" to 22" and the largest was a nice brown. I lost another five... somehow. So, I know there are fish there and that they will hit. A recent cursory trip to the 'Hootch below and in lower Helen did not show much activity. I hooked a fish I had seen from a bridge. I did not wade which would be mandatory to get to some of the holes more likely to hold fish. These are marginal waters but would hold some fish. I have yet to pull out a map to check on the other year round streams but may find some additional areas.

To fish Duke's call 706/887-3087 and get your name on the reservation list. Sessions are full day right now and if you will not start at sunrise(too cold for me and fish too!) let them know when you will check-in or you may lose your spot(hold for half hour or so in winter).

J. Webb

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ message board ] [ FAQ ]