Re: Urgent Direction and aid requested

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim on December 22, 1997 at 21:05:31:

In Reply to: Urgent Direction and aid requested posted by Rod on December 22, 1997 at 10:15:17:

> Just lucked out. My family is getting together near Gatlinburg, TN. I'm taking a couple of rods and other accouterments. Anybody out there have any suggestions for streams to hit and tactics--also where can I get outsider's liscence?
> I'm esp. looking to catch some brookies or what ever they call 'em up there.
> thanks in advance
> rod

Rod,
We usually make a trip or two to Gatlinburg each year with the family, and I have found
a couple of streams in the National Park I enjoy. My favorite is probably the middle prong
of the Little River. From Gatlinburg, go into the park, turn right at Sugerlands visitor
center (toward Cade's Cove). Travel this road alongside the Little River. After several miles
you will come to a major intersection (if you turn right you would go to Townsend, but stay
straight ahead toward Cade's Cove). In a short distance you will cross over the middle prong. Just past the
bridge, a road turns left, with a sign directing you to Treemont. Follow this road until it ends. Just above
the parking area, the steam forks. Either prong is good - I usually take the right fork just because I like to.
Another good steam is Bradley Fork above Smokemont campground (in the park on the North Carolina side about 4 - 5 miles
out of Cherokee. Park at the campground and walk upstream a couple of miles to get away from campers playing at streamside).

You can get a trail map at any visitor center for a nominal price which shows all hiking trails and steams. Unfortunenately,
all the brook trout habitat is closed to fishing, although you may luck up on one in the headwaters of the main steams. All of
the fish are wild and beautiful.

You can get a license in Gatlinburg at the Chamber of Commerce right on the main steet. Be aware that they DO NOT keep fisherman's
hours, so try to get it taken care of the day before you go.

Good luck!
Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]