Re: Bamboo Rod

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris England on December 31, 1997 at 12:39:19:

In Reply to: Bamboo Rod posted by Al on December 28, 1997 at 19:32:38:

> I recently acquired a 7 1/2 ' two piece bamboo flyrod. It looks as if it were refinished at some point in its life. The label on the shaft is almost worn off but the name on it looks like "Gold......" possibly Goldrod. Underneath the name is the word "Compact" best I can make out. Anybody out there have any ideas about who possibly made this type rod and when? The tip section is in pretty good shape although it has about a 2 degree downward bend that starts about midway, possibly due to being stored with rubber bands wrapped around it. Does anyone know of a way to straighten the tip? Any help would be much appreciated.

One method for straightening a rod is to attach a string to the rod tip. Hang the rod from a ceiling that is high enough that you have a couple of feet between the butt of the rod and the floor. Attach a weight (start with 5lbs, you may need to graduate up) to the butt section. This can be done using duct tape. Standing on a step ladder, or a tall chair, use a blow dryer to heat the area of concern. Be careful, don't heat it to much you may make the glue run. (But don't worry though, just be on the cautious side and don't rush. Keep the dryer moving; if you get the rod to hot, the glue may run down. This could lead to splitting, since there is less glue in the area of the bend. Let the rod hang for a few days, and check the bend. Repeat this process, until the bend is completely removed. This technique works! I've done it many times, and can personally attest to the technique. Mr. Parker, at Parkers Custom Rods in Roswell is the man that described the technique to me a few years back. Cal's reputation speaks for itself, they make the finest custom rods in the south. As I was typing this message, I called Mr. Parker, and described the rod to him. He wasn't sure of the manufacturer, but you may want to drop by his shop and show it to him. Mr. Parker is getting up there 87+, and has probably seen every bamboo rod that was ever manufactured (they are also a tackle repair shop). He said that there's some older stuff out there that is worth 10's of thousands of dollars. But 90% are made in Japan, and were worth $50.00 brand new. Generally the Japanese rods have a lot more thread that the quality English rods do. Anyhow, give him a call, 770-993-9096. His shop is in the old town section of Roswell.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]