View Full Version : If money were no object.
03-23-04, 03:39 PM
Where would you build your troutopia trout lodge & ranch in the USA ? Lets put a 10 million dollar cap on it for lodge and acreage. Would be looking for a large tract of land with own trout river and mountain range would be a plus.
03-23-04, 07:13 PM
Pere Marquette River in western Michigan. Summer and winter Steelhead runs, Chinook runs in the fall, Brown trout galore (the 2nd river in North America to get stocked with German Brown Trout in the 1800s, after the Au Sable in New York), of coarse also Rainbows, a Wild and Scenic River that has never been dammed, a Flys-Only section, awesome hatches, and tons of natural reproduction. My idea of heaven.
03-23-04, 11:52 PM
Alaska, I bet you could but a huge chunk of land there.
Another positive on Michigan is that land prices in many areas haven't kept pace with the rest of the country. There are still nice waterfront lots on the Au Sable that aren't too outrageous.
I would do something on the Madison or some other Montana river. The land is beautiful and it was probably my favorite of the places I have fished. 10 mm would get you going well there.
Colorado is a close second but I think it is expensive.
With 10 million of fishing-money to spend, who need to have real estate headaches?
03-24-04, 09:26 AM
Bob, ever the practical! You might be right...again.
03-24-04, 09:41 AM
Clark Howard's take on "found money" is to reward yourself with 10% of the total before being disciplined with the other 90%.
$1M would fund lovely fishing trips to many destinations.... I would not want to squander my money on capital investments without broadening my exposure to many more exotic locations.
And New Zealand would be very high on my "got to investigate" list.
True but, by definition, we were starting out with $100 million. The $10 million was the part designated as 'fishing money'. You golfers will need at least a cool $200 million to have equal funding for both 'sports'.
03-24-04, 12:31 PM
id but everyone on the soque river out hehehehehe
04-05-04, 10:53 AM
Man, the PM river in Michigan is right on the money...the steelhead are runnin as we speak, I was up there this past weekend- went 4-6 with a couple beautiful chromers.
But, I think I would put my trout shack on Duck Lake in Northwest Montana (10 minutes from Glacier). One of Montana's best Rainbow Lakes. Its on the blackfoot reservation, where the indians dump jumbo shrimp for feed. Jumbo shrimp=jumbo rainbows!
fly on the wall
04-18-04, 09:32 AM
I'd have to build the perfect brook trout stream right here in Lawrenceville in my own back yard. The stream would have flow regulation, temperature control and adjustable overhead foliage.
Of course, I would need security-especially for the likes of the Ghost!
04-20-04, 06:05 PM
There is a little log cabin sitting on a nice bend in the bighorn river, Montana, just past 3 mile access. Sure would be nice to wake up everyday with that river off my front porch.
vBulletin® v3.7.2, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.