View Full Version : Ami DH Sun
01-13-06, 12:05 PM
I am not familiar with the Ami. How long after a heavy rain is the Ami unfishable? Is there hope for Sunday? or should I plan on the boat show?
01-13-06, 12:27 PM
If it raines hard it WILL BE wiped out. I tried to fish it the Monday after New years Day, it had rained hard the day before, and the river looked like a raging mud slick, never even got out of the car. Smaller, streams, particularly smiths creek DH, will more than likely be fishing very well with the increased water and are never muddy.
01-13-06, 12:42 PM
Will be driving over the 53 bridge on the way to work saturday and will post conditions here.
01-13-06, 01:34 PM
Here is a gauge link. I don't have lot of history looking at this one, but at least you will have an idea how much rain it got before you drive up there.
Good luck !
01-14-06, 11:37 AM
Past over the 53 bridge at 11:15 am... water level not high, but it's muddy to the point i wouldnt fish it... it may clear up somewhat by tomorrow pm... only one vehicle in the parking lot... a silver truck.
01-14-06, 03:01 PM
based on the graph and what I know about the creek is .80 - .90 and the very extreme is 1.00. Anything higher is hard to fish.
01-14-06, 08:52 PM
This last rain event was ~.75" at the Ami data station... about the same as we got here... now we know that it doesnt even take an inch of rain to make the Ami DH unfishable for a day or two... it's really a judgment call as whether or not to fish it tomorrow... it snowed at nearby Big Canoe last evening and some today and i dont think the temps got out of the 30's... given the temps today and tonight, if you go, wait until later in the day.
The gauge still reads 1.05 as now 8:45 pm tonight... that's above Do7's fishable limit... it was still pretty murky on the way back from work today at 53... but whether or not it's that bad up at Steele Bridge, i cannot say... better have a plan B just in case... if it were me, i wouldnt take the chance and would go somewhere else tomorrow, probably still relatively large, but clearer water... i'll wait and fish the Ami after next friday ;)
B Kar Ma
01-14-06, 10:10 PM
I was seriously considering fishing the Ami on Monday. From what I'm reading, even if the water is somewhat clear, it may be too high to fish comfortably? True?
Anyone in the area that can let me know - I would appreciate it. I'm supposed to take a friend currently "on the dark side" and get him to fling fly line for the first time......I would take him to the 'hooch, but I know it takes DAYS for it to clear up.
01-15-06, 01:37 PM
It's back down in the .95 range as of now so by tomorrow it should be cool. I cannot tell you anything about the color but Path Less Traveled might want to chime in. He crosses over on the way to work, I believe.
01-15-06, 05:08 PM
Agree... Monday should be ok... i think today wouldve been the marginal day... i dont pass by there every day... just when i have jobs at Big Canoe... Do7, weather on friday looks good :cool:... just hope it's warm after friday so the fish are frisky.
01-15-06, 06:32 PM
If they are stocking near Steel Bridge as well as Hwy 53 next week? I love to fish up there.
01-15-06, 07:14 PM
but me or somebody here will sure give you the details friday (via pm)... on another subject, check your pm now ;)
vBulletin® v3.7.2, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.