PDA

View Full Version : Hardy Moves to Korea!

Buck Henry
01-19-08, 10:32 AM
Man, is nothing sacred! It appears another time honored fly reel manufacturer has succumbed to the pressures of globilization. The House of Hardy has quietly moved production of all of it's reels to the far east just as Orvis did a few years back. Hang on to your made in England Hardy reels, as their value will certainly be impacted by this move.

Here is an email from a Cortland rep (Cortland owns Hardy USA) confirming the rumor:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

Hardy made the decision over summer to change the production of their products to Korea. Currently, I believe all of their reels are being made overseas, including their rods (except for the Gladstone, that we know of).

Even so, the quality control of the reels is still the same and the standards have not dropped.

Best Regards,
Michael Foreman
Oversea Accounts, Sales
Cortland Line Company, Inc.
3736 Kellogg Road, PO Box 5588
Cortland, NY 13045
Phone: (607) 756-2851 Ext. 101
Fax: (607) 753-8835
E-Mail: mforeman@cortlandline.com
Cortland Line Company, Inc.
http://www.cortlandline.com

oyster
01-19-08, 12:17 PM
Yep, it's true. I've got a couple of English Hardys left and when they're gone I won't be re-stocking for 2008. Some people mistake these sentiments for "nationalism", (whatever that is supposed to mean) but I have always thought of Hardy as the quentessential English reel - and that's just no longer the case. I'm sure the Koreans will do a fine job, maybe a better job, but somehow it's just not the same. It's a shame.

Bill O.

Dawg Vet
01-19-08, 11:55 PM
Wow. I hate to see this. Bill, I totally agree with you. Hardy is THE English reel and now somehow this heritage seems severed. I collect the old Pflueger Medalists and the current overseas models are the same in name only.

Gaines'BowBum
01-20-08, 09:09 PM
I've don't have any Hardy reels and now it doesn't look like I ever will...

--Alex

riph2731
03-11-08, 12:22 PM
Hey guys,
Just did a bit of research and also talked to Hardy. Apparently, only a few of their reels have had production moved to Korea. All others (i.e.: The Lightweights, Original Angels) are still made in England. I dug a little deeper and found that the reels that have moved to Korea did so to cut costs which will subsequently be passed onto the consumer. The reels were simply getting too expensive to produce in England and had become unrealistic for the average fisherman. Furthermore and apparently, the Korean machinists that will be building the reels are amazing. So, no loss of quality. Perhaps a loss of tradition however, the traditional reels (i.e.: The Featherweight, etc...) are in fact still made in England. Just thought I would help to mend our broken hearts.

S.Trutta
03-11-08, 08:18 PM
Yup, I found this out a few weeks back and was EXTREMELY dissapointed. First the CFO's, now all the Hardy reels.....its sad to see them sell out like that. I am glad I decided to buy my Hardy Featherweight last year because it doesn't look like I'll be buying anymore. I guess that also answers the questions of what reel I'll want to put on my Oyster rod when its done....Peerless.

Rich

riph2731
03-11-08, 08:49 PM
Here is an email that I just got from Hardy.
------------------
Dear Richard,

Thank you for your email.

The classic style reels and the original Angel reels are still made in England. The Featherweight would be one of the classics.

Best Regards,

Mike
------------------
So, I guess I better buy a new Featherweight before they move them too. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

oyster
03-11-08, 09:41 PM
Mike,

You might want to ask your rep why the "House of Hardy England" was removed from these reels and simply replaced with "Hardy". That was the same story I was hearing about a year ago and haven't found anyone associated with Hardy who was still willing to stick with that version lately - not even the rep who provided me with all of the reels I USED to sell for them. You could also inquire why their "English made" fly reels have taken such a huge dump in price - to the point that us retailers were stuck selling them for less than their original wholesale! :(

Bill O.

www.oysterbamboo.com

riph2731
03-11-08, 10:27 PM
Boys,
I think I've been lied to by Hardy. dang. I feel like someone stole my milk money.

oyster
03-11-08, 11:29 PM
Rich,

Who knows what the real story is. They're made in England, made in Korea, parts made in Ireland - assembled in England, some of each, in transition... who knows for sure at this point. For me the issue is just this - a few years ago when someone said "where are Hardy reels made?" you could say "England!" Now, even Hardy can't keep the facts straight. It's just a shame. It's a lot like when Winston shook things up and cleared shop in their bamboo department then started having some of their rods made overseas. Companys that we used to be proud of for their perceived focus on quality and tradition, are now focusing on the bottom line. Whatever the exact truth is, it's just left a bad taste in my mouth, and I used to be such a fan. Here's another 13 pages on the subject if you're interested.
http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/9673

Bill O.

riph2731
03-12-08, 12:19 AM
Thanks Bill!

Like you said, if you wanna go Hardy...go vintage. You're right though, all of this outsourcing of the products that we've grown to trust and love, no matter what the hobby or staple, is driving me crazy. I've made it a point to buy American or at least English and from small businesses. What can you do...

TheEndlessEnigma
03-12-08, 10:39 AM
between licenses .. hardy .... orvis .... winston .... i think i am gonna take a year or so off from fishing. ok maybe that is a bit extreme ... but ... i dunno who knows .... due to reasons of things like this going on this year (and one other larger thing) i just have not had the same zeal for fishing as i used to.

Some things and products are just time honored ... and full of tradition. Yeah .... you pay for those things ... you save money ... sometimes pinch pennies.... but in the end ...knowing you bought a piece of that tradition .... dont you feel better about it?

Buck Henry
03-12-08, 01:22 PM
Some things and products are just time honored ... and full of tradition. Yeah .... you pay for those things ... you save money ... sometimes pinch pennies.... but in the end ...knowing you bought a piece of that tradition .... dont you feel better about it?

Amen brother!

fishnpreacher
03-12-08, 11:37 PM
And all of our bamboo is imported from China.....

"Made in USA from imported materials"

Still a far sight better than the stuff mass produced in JAPAN