PDA

View Full Version : Big Article Today in AJC about GWFF

THE EG
12-01-00, 03:46 PM
In the "Atlanta at Play" section of the sports section. Even if I get the URL right, these AJC URL's disappear after a couple of days so look fast.

It had a picture of Julie Tallman, also an NGTO memeber.

A tip o' the hat to FlygURL for slipping a mention of NGTO in there also.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/ajc/epaper/editions/friday/sports_a3729 5fbb66d11d30093.html (http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/ajc/epaper/editions/friday/sports_a37295fbb66d11d30093.html)

Just in case the accessatlanta article does disappear, this one did copy to our format pretty well. HERE IT IS:

ATLANTA AT PLAY: FISHING: Caught on the Fly
Georgia Women Flyfishers combine hard-core fly-fishing with friendship and support.
Scott Bernarde - Staff
Friday, December 1, 2000

A recent Saturday afternoon was cold enough without the sleet.

With temperatures below 40, the dozen or so fly anglers standing waist-deep in the chilly Chattahoochee River must be having a miserable time.

Noses and cheeks were flushed, and fingers were so stiff that tying knots became a necessary evil. But members of the Georgia Women Flyfishers were warmed by friendship, a passion for fishing and cooperating trout. Ranging in age and ability, the anglers were having their way with the newly stocked trout during a frosty outing to the new delayed-harvest section of the Chattahoochee downstream from Sope Creek.

"I've fished in worse weather," said Karen Piassick of Atlanta, her fluid and accurate casts unaffected by the elements. Piassick spends her summers living and fishing in Colorado, where the weather can turn bitter any time during the year. "I have fished in the snow in the middle of July, so this isn't so bad --- yet."

The weather turned colder, but the anglers didn't care. Of course, a streamside lunch, which included soup and warm beverages, took some of the nip off the chill. A tarp set up under trees near the shore allowed the anglers to dry off, warm up and discuss which flies worked best.

It was serious fishing with a woman's touch.

"Women are very organized," said Beth Tuttle, the club's president from Lawrenceville and a lifelong angler. "No stone is left unturned."

Among the members of the 3-year-old fishing group are a world-record holder, a master casting instructor and several others who always have felt at ease on the stream alongside men.

"I don't feel limited with what I can do just because I'm a girl. You're only limited by perceptions," said Tuttle, who will be replaced by new president Leslie Miller in January. "On NGTO (North Georgia Trout Online), I used to be the only woman on it the first year and a half. It didn't bug me a bit."

Becky Strain of Rome has been fly-fishing for 15 years, including bonefish and tarpon tournaments in the Florida Keys. She also has fished in the Rockies and in New Zealand.

"The serenity of the places you engage to go fly-fishing is just wonderful," Strain said. She set a world fly record in the 16-pound tippet two years ago with 12-pound, 8-ounce bonefish she caught while winning the Women's World Invitational Fly Championship bonefish tournament in Islamorada, Fla.

"I enjoy this group of women," Strain said. "This club has opened up a whole new group of people you can fish with."

The club introduced a new art form to Lynn Scott of Atlanta. A club member for three months, she caught just her second fish ever on the fly on the chilly Saturday, but she was sounding like a seasoned veteran.

"Look at all the rises," she said, distinguishing rising trout from the circles left by the falling sleet in a pool filled with trout. "I know what I'm supposed to do. It's the execution I'm still learning."

The anglers strive to provide fly-fishing opportunities of all types, whether it is master instructor Wanda Taylor, also a club member, conducting a seminar for a group, or one angler finding a social outlet. Along with becoming better anglers, the women form friendships that have led to fly-fishing trips, including "wilderness fishing," where the anglers camp out and fish remote areas.

"Women are changing," said Piassick, who has gone on several wilderness outings. "Youngsters are growing up in the sport, growing up in the outdoors, and when they grow up, they're used to being with men in this sort of situation. They're used to being with men in the working world and the sporting world, and this is just another facet.

"This is an interesting group of women with all kinds of incomes and abilities," she said. "We all have the same goal. We like to fish, and we want to provide opportunities for others to fish."

FAST FACTS
Georgia Women Flyfishers
History: Formed as Reel Women of Georgia more than three years ago by Diana O'Briant and Darlene Koncak, wife of former Atlanta Hawk Jon Koncak. The name was changed because of a trademark issue with a Colorado group.
Number of members: 52, with 15 to 20 core members.
Next event: Christmas celebration, Dec. 11, the Atlanta Brewing Co., Atlanta. Admission charge is $12 at the door.
Info: Phone, 770-923-0028. Send e-mail to GaWomFly
@bigfoot.com and check the Web site
(www.accessatlanta.com/community/groups/gawomfly/).

[This message has been edited by THE EG (edited 12-01-2000).]

Tom
12-01-00, 08:45 PM
Even in Rabun County, land of Bubba's and other assorted characters, we get an Atlanta paper once in a while. Great article, ladies, it should go a long way in recruiting more of the fairer sex to the sport of fly fishing. Good luck with your Christmas party, wish I could make it down there. Tight Lines, Tom

huntfish
12-01-00, 08:54 PM
Congrats to Beth and Leslie. Keep it rolling along.

Windknot
12-04-00, 08:38 AM
Good article, great interview and fabulous publicity!

Congratulations. Don

Patriot Owl
12-04-00, 11:03 AM
Autographs ! I want autographs ! http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ubbngto/wink.gif

Good job, fellow fish-heads(stealing from Drifter again, I know. )

Thanks for the heads up on it EG. http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ubbngto/smile.gif