PDA

View Full Version : The girls are going fishin'

FlygURL
01-10-01, 09:17 PM
GaWomFlys,

This Saturday is the first "After the Meeting - Let's Go Fishing Day" of the new millennium! I think that I have all of the info in this email - see the F.A.Q. at the end. If you have further questions, let me know A.S.A.P - so that I can let everyone know!!

We'll meet at the North Georgia Premium Outlet Mall near Dawsonville at 10am. We will convoy to where Steele Bridge crosses the Amicalola Creek at the start of the Delayed Harvest section. Make sure to bring a snack and water since there is nowhere to eat in the near vicinity. If you'd like to coordinate food with others, I believe that Leslie gawomfly@bigfoot.com is coordinating. I am bringing my Motorola radio - so bring yours, if you have radios. Fish as long as you like.

If you plan to meet us, please R.S.V.P. to Beth so that I know to expect you! And let me know if you are meeting us at the Creek or at the mall.

Beth
jandb@mindspring.com

F.A.Q:
------
What is the Amicalola Creek like?
Amicalola Creek, commonly referred to as the Ami, is a great place to fish. DNR stocks rainbow trout that have a passion for fighting! The location is beautiful and the access is very easy. I think that there are 2 miles of delayed harvest stream water between Steele Bridge (on Steele Bridge Road) and the Highway 53 bridge. See http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=3819142&e=759964&size=m&symshow=n for the topo map of the area.
We all agree that it is worth your time (if you park at the Steele Bridge) to walk in for a while before you start fishing. Fishing pressure is heavy close to the parking lots. Bring your polartec’s too, the water and the air temps are about the same.

What is a Delayed Harvest stream?
A stream designated by the state of being artificial only, single hook, catch/release from November 1 - May 14. Three stream in Georgia have this designation: Amicalola Creek (from County Road 192, Steele Bridge Road, downstream to Georgia Highway 53), Smith Creek (on Unicoi State Park from Unicoi Dam downstream to the Unicoi State Park property boundary), and the Chattahoochee River (from Sope Creek downstream to Highway 41).

Must all flies be barbless in Delayed Harvest?
Flies do not have to be barbless on Delayed Harvest water in Georgia. However, I have personally found it easier to dislodge a barbless hook from human tissue than a barbed hook http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ubbngto/smile.gif

Beginner GaWomFlys:
This is a good river to try out. We'll have enough ladies to help you out if you'd like any assistance. If you need gear, please let me know by Friday afternoon. make sure that you have your fishing license and your trout stamp. Check out http://www.permit.com to purchase a Georgia fishing license and a trout stamp.

Which flies should I use?
There is one prominent fly hatching this time of year - blue winged olives. As usual, get them as small as you can stand it. Standard flies for this stream are traditional nymphs (hare's ear, pheasant tail, prince nymphs), my favorite dry - a (parachute) adams, and of course, I can't finish this email with mentioning woolly buggers.

Directions to North Georgia Premium Outlet Mall:
Take GA 400 North. The Mall will be 35 minutes outside of the perimeter on the left. Turn into the main entrance and we'll meet at 10am in front of the food pavilion on the outskirts of the parking lot. Look for my white Ford Explorer.

Directions to the Ami…
Drive North on 400. Take Hwy 53 west off of 400, just past the North Georgia Outlet Mall. It is a big intersection and there is a McDonald's on the corner in front of an Ingle's shopping center. Dawsonville is about 7 miles and the Amicalola River bridge on Hwy 53 is about another 7 miles past that. You go approximately 14 miles on Hwy 53. For the easily confused (I would appreciate this info), stay on Hwy 53 (DUH!). Halfway to the river past Dawsonville there is a fork with a big sign that says "Amicalola Falls". This is Hwy 183. DO NOT TAKE THIS FORK. Stay on Hwy 53. From this direction the turn off for the parking is about 100 yards on the right before you hit the bridge. Go down the dirt road to the bottom by the cabin. Fish upstream from the Highway 53 bridge.
To get to the Steele Bridge, continue over the creek, driving about 2 miles. Take a right onto Amicalola Church Road (there is a Handy Quick Stop on the left there). Drive for awhile and take a right onto Steele Bridge Road. This road eventually becomes unpaved. Continue driving until you see the bridge. Parking is on the right. Fish downstream from the Steele Bridge.

------------------
FlygURLBeth's web page - check it out! (http://www.mindspring.com/~jandb)