PDA

View Full Version : another newbie here

BruceinGa
10-02-03, 10:04 PM
I have been lurking here for a couple of days and really like what I read.
I'm new to fly fishing, having just finished the Fly Fishing for Seniors course at Kennesaw State. My wife took the course also.
I just turned 54 and hope that I can absorb some of the useful info here.
Some of us from our class are planning on fishing "The Tuck" (I think that is what the Tusquitee is called)in a few weeks.
I have just bought some waders, boots and an 8 ft 4-5 graphite rod. I realize that this is only the beginning! And I thought golf was expensive!

Gray ghost
10-02-03, 10:17 PM
Welcome Bruce !

Some of us are trying to get a Bar B Q night set up for next Thursday in Roswell at Dreamlands Bar B Q . Stop on in if your in the area.

MountainMan
10-02-03, 10:49 PM
Welcome to NGTO Bruce! Glad to have you here. Is the stream your referring to the Tuckasegee in North Carolina? If so then you are in for a treat. It's a wonderful trout stream that has a Delayed Harvest section as well as wild trout mixed in the bunch. Both areas are great (Delayed Harvest and the headwaters). Welcome to the addiction!

Oh, one more thing, if I may suggest a book...pick up a copy of "Trout Streams of Southern Appalachia" by Jimmy Jacobs. It talks about almost every public access trout stream in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennesse, and Kentucky. It covers equipment and fly selections for mountain streams as well as directions to the stream and what type of water you'll encounter and if the stream has special regulations or not, and anything else you need to know! If you don't plan on fishing out of state a whole lot, then Jimmy also has a book called "Trout Fishing in North Georgia," which is the same type of guide but it only covers Georgia trout streams. You can pick up a copy at any local bookstore or fly shop. Tight lines!

-MM

BruceinGa
10-02-03, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the invite Gray ghost! Are wives invited? I saw the post about bringing two flies, what kind should I bring?

MM, I'll have to wait and see where end up. I do know it is in NC. Thanks for the advice on the two books.

skibum
10-02-03, 11:43 PM
Welcome http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ubbngto/smile.gif For more info to go along with Jimmy's book is doing a search here of the archives and old messages.. Lots of info that really helps and answers to alot of questions.. I see Grey Ghost has a BBQ need soon.. Come out and win some flies.. Fall fling is just a month away too...

Gray ghost
10-02-03, 11:50 PM
Hey Bruce wives and kids are always welcome. Any two flies will work for the drawing. http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ubbngto/smile.gif

Korn Dunker
10-03-03, 08:43 PM
Hi Bruce, the guys on the West side get together in Kennesaw every month. See the West Siders topic in the events section. Maybe we'll see ya there.

------------------
Pete

BruceinGa
10-03-03, 09:38 PM
Thanks Pete, I'll check it out.