PDA

View Full Version : newbie to GA

285 Wildcat
06-19-05, 07:39 PM
Howdy all, moved to GA from Colorado and ran into some of your fine members on the Hootch about a week ago. They were very friendly and helpful and took me to their honey hole. I would have wasted hours on that river looking for the good spots. As it turned out I had fun educating some of your fine browns and a single rainbow! THANKS to you folks!!!
I went back there today, but they were generating so the river was up pretty high, so between falling in once over my waders, tearing a hole in my waders and getting bit by a copperhead it was a productive day hahaha. The snake did not penetrate my gravel guard, wader or thick sock. Gave my a pretty good rush though!!! :yikes: He was on the trail and I must have stepped right on his tail (I think??) They are pretty agressive compared to the Western Diamondbacks I have encountered. Anyway, thanks again for making me feel welcome on the Hooch!!!

Speck
06-19-05, 07:47 PM
Welcome aboard Cat!

Give a holler when you're ready to head a little farther north.

NickelCigar
06-19-05, 08:09 PM
and wow, that's some high drama! You are a wildcat, don't know any that would wade those conditions, snake ok? :)

Don't know if you have the phone# to check the generation schedule for Buford Dam, it's 770.945.1466.

Haven't forgotten about giving you a call, just haven't been fishing. Give me a yell next time you fish.

Greg

285 Wildcat
06-19-05, 08:45 PM
hey nickel, how are ya? the snake is OK, I don't kill em, they perform a necessary function, keepin the rif raff off the trails :D I managed to catch some fish with a lot of effort. Thanks for number, I will use it in the future for sure. I wanted to try down lower on the hootch for some warm water varieties but it is still muddy below Morgan. I will call ya for my next outing! Make sure ya got some snake guards haha

Path_Less_Traveled
06-20-05, 11:46 AM
Welcome aboard... i'm very new here myself... this board is very friendly and informative... I often say to others, N. Ga is one of the best places in the U.S. to live other than out West.

By the way, Banded Water Snakes....

http://www.herpsofnc.org/herps_of_NC/snakes/Ner_sip.html

http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/nerfas.htm
I stepped on one of these the other day at Smith's Creek... they can be aggressive.

are often confused with copperheads...

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/copperhead.htm

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/resources/wildnotes/pub373.htm

The problem arises when you are bitten and dont see much of the snake... seeking medical attention asap is the best option.

I commend you for not killing it eventhough it could have been a copperhead :)

285 Wildcat
06-20-05, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Path Less Traveled the second and third site you referenced definitely described the snake I saw, I had him pinned down with a stick at one point and he had the distinctive markings iincluding the copperhead and he showed me his fangs when he opened his mouth. Growing up in Florida prior to my move to Colorado allowed me to view quite a few species of snakes and reptiles. I did a lot of work in wetlands and there was an abundant variety to be seen! The only other time I have seen a Copperhead was in Arkansas though.

Joshkal
06-20-05, 10:47 PM
Welcome to the list!!

Path_Less_Traveled
06-21-05, 12:06 AM
you're lucky... I usually see about 25:1 water snakes vs. copperheads... imo, copperheads are beautiful creatures.

Actually have seen more bears than snakes this year... :yikes: it's hard to figure which one i'm more afraid of... mama bear or water moccasin?... hmmm. :confused:

Try to hit some mtn streams this summer.. they arent as harsh as the hootch tailwater can be.

here's another interesting snake link... http://www.dausettrails.com/cottonvswater.htm

Speck
06-21-05, 01:09 AM
We've had more snakes around home this year than we have in a long, long time. The wife nearly stepped on a 2' copperhead (yes, I'm sure) about three weeks ago out in the yard. Can't recall the last time I'd seen one.

Sorry guys, but this one is no longer around - can't let a risk like that slither around the yard with our 3 year-old out there. King, black, or corn snake okay but a copperhead? Ain't happenin', friends.

Gave me a great chance to do a safe, up-close inspection of it, though.

I really would like to see another king snake around here - I bet it's been 20 years since the last one.

CAPT USA
06-21-05, 03:39 AM
Welcome to NGTO.

When I see snakes, I usually hurt myself! Wonder if snakes have a sense of humor??

Path_Less_Traveled
06-21-05, 08:06 AM
yep, they gotta be killed (or taken to a place far, far away)... way too risky to have in close quarters, especially with children around.

We found a little non-poisonous (forgot which kind) in the house last year, and put in out in the woods... yea before that, C&R'd a beautiful corn snake from the yard.

285 Wildcat
06-21-05, 09:06 AM
I moved to a house which abuts a wetland owned by the Cherokee County water board, the proximity provides a lot of privacy and wildlife, but I have a lil one too and if I were to encounter a poisonous species of snake in my back yard I would have to dispatch it. I would rather deal with a snake then a momma bear or a mountain lion anyday :eek: I lived in the mountains in Colorado and they could get very protective or aggressive if threatened or very hungry. There is just something about an animal which could eat me that instills a TREMENDOUS amount of respect in me for them ;)

Path_Less_Traveled
06-21-05, 08:29 PM
The strength, speed, and agility of the bear is simply mind-boggling... and rather imtimidating when there is nothing between you and it but air!